#Montreal’s Champs de Mars area has had quite the transformation over the last century. It was once a military parade ground surrounded by Montreal’s fortifications and was then paved over — as seen in this photo from July 3, 1930 — to become a parking lot. The city eventually decided to turn the grounds into a park in the 1980s. The fort walls were found during the transformation and are now highlighted in the landscape. This photo was found in the @montrealgazette #archive library.
A skyline view of Montreal in 1930 shows the city's new skyscrapers., with the Bell Telephone Building at centre right. The Royal Bank Building on St. James (St. Jacques) St. in Old Montreal. The ground in the foreground is being cleared for the construction of Central Station. The church at right was taken down stone by stone and moved to St. Laurent where it is today part of the Vanier College campus.