BEAUFORT, N.C. - For the first time in nearly 300 years, Blackbeard’s flagship, Queen Anne’s Revenge, returns to North Carolina. It's happening this June in a new exhibit at the North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort. It was 1718 when the notorious pirate ran his ship aground in Beaufort Inlet. That's roughly two miles from where the Museum stands today. “We’re piecing together untold stories of Blackbeard, his crew and the ship, that we’ll be able to share with the public…
Long John Silver by Björn Larsson. Image description: illustrated book cover featuring pirate captain Long John Silver in tricorn hat and military-style coat. He carries an old-fashioned pistol in one hand, leaning on a crutch with the other (though his famous wooden leg is not in the picture). He has a blue parrot on one shoulder. His sailing ship rides a swelling ocean behind him.
Queen Anne's Revenge: Queen Anne's Revenge was the name of the flagship of the English pirate Blackbeard. He used her for less than a year, but was an effective tool in his prize-taking. In 1718, Blackbeard ran the ship aground at Beaufort Inlet, Carteret County, North Carolina.
William Kidd, 1645-1701- In 1698 pirate William Kidd had captured an Armenian merchant ship Quedagh Merchant in the Indian Ocean. He changed the name of the ship and sailed it to the Caribbean. In 1699 the ship was abandoned near the coast of the Dominican Republic. We have found the remains of the vessel (guns) and investigated in site the ship