Historical fire in box factory in Pittsburgh, 13 girls died.
Evergreen Plantation and its slave cabins. Evergreen Plantation in Edgard, LA is the only plantation left on River Road to still have all of its original slave cabins in all of their original locations
Heinz Memorial Chapel, a Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmark and a contributing property to the Schenley Farms National Historic District on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh.
Today in Allegheny County History - On Oct. 5, 1927, old Coraopolis Bridge opened to traffic, connecting Neville Is. & Coraopolis. It was originally built in 1892 as 6th Street Bridge in Downtown Pittsburgh by Union Bridge Co. It was floated downstream in 1927 to make way for construction of the current 6th Street Bridge, now called the Roberto Clemente Bridge. By the late 1980s, the old Coraopolis bridge could no longer support traffic volumes & was replaced by current bridge.
Circa 1910. "Coal barges at confluence of Allegheny and Monongahela rivers at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." 8x10 inch glass negative.
Jane Swisshelm, ardent abolitionist and fiery editor of the St. Cloud Democrat. In the aftermath of the war she called for the extermination of the Indians.