1910)^ - Tree-lined Melrose Avenue, probably in 1910, at Western Avenue. Trees were planted in the early 1880's and felled on the right side in 1922 and on the left side in 1923. This was a favorite street for horse and buggy rides on Sundays. Historical Notes Melrose Avenue was named by ranch owner E.A. McCarthy after his hometown of Melrose, Mass. The McCarthy Ranch occupied most of area bounded by Western to Wilton and Melrose to Santa Monica Blvd.