This carriage was commissioned by Count Grigory Orlov in 1763 by an unknown craftsman who evidently worked in St Petersburg, in the workshops of the Court Stables. In 1765 Grigory Orlov presented this vehicle to Empress Catherine II. In the 19th century it was used in almost all formal excursions during the coronation ceremonies. The panels of the body carry compositions on allegorical themes painted by Gravelot.
Victorian: 1898 #Victorian Brougham Carriage. This carriage is a very good fossil in the evolution from carriage to motor vehicle. It encompasses both the older elegance of carriages while coming towards a more minimal design which is seen much more during the popularization of the motor vehicle.
The sled of 1760 was initially the property of King William 1st. It is decorated by a sculpture of Diana, the goddess of the hunt. She is accompanied by dogs on the rocker. The set is painted in gold and polychrome. The interior is lined with yellow and red velvet Florentine.