Carcassone was founded by the Visigoths in the fifth century, though the Romans had fortified the settlement earlier. The fortress, which was thoroughly restored in 1853 by the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc, was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997.
Pic du Midi, Pyrenees: Mission to a frozen fortress
The complex on the Pic du Midi in the high Pyrenees is an astronomical observatory, from which Nasa scientists mapped the surface of the moon for the Apollo landings. It is also open to the public, which makes it the high point of a winter sports holiday in the jumble of ancient mountains between France and Spain. Only 19 guests can be accommodated overnight, with stargazing, conducted tours of the telescopes, and gourmet dining on the menu.
Cailhau the door, in Bordeaux, France Its name recalls the accumulated stones at his feet by the Garonne which served to ballast the ship, built in the late fifteenth century, was part of the ramparts. She acted as a triumphal arch and defensive gate. Gothic-Renaissance battlements, roofs acute: 35 meters high, skylights, lanterns, it contains a statue of King Charles VIII who won the Battle of Fornovo in 1495.
The new concept of San Miguel market in Madrid, Spain, opened its doors May 16 2009, with immediate and smashing success. The old cast-iron pillars now support one of Madrid's hot spots for shopping, food and drinks, and diverse cultural events.
Knights templar vault in Aragnouet, Hautes Pyrénées, France. Chapelle Notre Dame de l'Assomption du Plan (ou chapelle des Hospitaliers de Saint-Jean de Jérusalem). It was build during XI and XII centuries.
Château Smith Haut Lafitte is a Bordeaux wine from the Pessac-Léognan appellation, ranked among the Grands Crus Classé for red wine in the Classification of Graves wine of 1953 and 1959.The winery and vineyards are located south of the city of Bordeaux, in the commune of Martillac. The estate originates in the 14th century with the house of Verrier Du Boscq who planted vines on a gravelly plateau named Lafitte.
At the end of the XVIIIth century, The city of Bordeaux was particularly lively thanks to it commercial activities (wine, colonial trade...).. The Duke of Richelieu, Governor of Guyenne, decided to equip the city with an Opera House that was fitting of such a city, and asked the architect Victor Louis (1731-1800) to oversee the project. Started in 1773, it was finished in 1780. This imposing neoclassical building (88 x 47 metres) is capable of holding 1,114 people.