Au printemps 1836, environ 200 Texans, des hommes de toutes races convaincus de l'avenir de leur terre, ont résisté pendant 13 jours au siège du général Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, gouverneur et chef des armées du Mexique. Conduits par trois hommes - le jeune et flamboyant colonel William Travis, le passionné James Bowie, et une vraie légende vivante américaine, David Crockett - ils ont tenu le fort sans faiblir.
Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas, was established in 1845. The Army established a garrison and regional headquarters in rented buildings and a Quartermaster supply depot in the Alamo. After the Civil War, the Army began to move out of the city onto land donated by the City of San Antonio. In 1876, the construction of the Quadrangle began and the Quartermaster Depot moved into it in 1877. The garrison moved into tents west of the Quadrangle in 1879 and the Headquarters moved in 1881.
Fort Chadbourne - among the more notable figures who served at the post prior to the Civil War were Lts. James Longstreet and George E. Pickett, each of whom became distinguished Confederate generals during the War of Rebellion. Miles W. Keogh was also posted to Fort Chadbourne during its brief re-occupation in 1867. As captain in the Seventh United States Cavalry, he was destined to fall at the Battle of Little Big Horn some nine years later on June 25, 1876