Panzer II Ausf.F, El Alamein, June 1942. The F was the last standard version of the Panzer II.

Panzer II Ausf.F, El Alamein, June 1942. The F was the last standard version of the Panzer II.

Wehrmacht Oberst Hans von Luck - commanded Kampfgruppe von Luck ,7 Panzer Division,21 Panzer Division

Wehrmacht Oberst Hans von Luck - commanded Kampfgruppe von Luck ,7 Panzer Division,21 Panzer Division

retrowar: “Color photo of Panzer II captured by U.S. forces in Tunisia ”

retrowar: “Color photo of Panzer II captured by U.S. forces in Tunisia ”

German Panzer II Ausf b light tank, date unknown

[Photo] German Panzer II Ausf b light tank, date unknown

The Panzer II was a German light tank ordered into production as a stop-gap measure, as the Panzer III continued to have developmental problems. Originally built with only 15 mm of armor, it was later upgraded to 30 mm of armor. It was armed with both a machine gun and an automatic 20 mm canon, decidedly inferior to the standard 37 mm and 2 pounder tank guns used in most other countries in the early years of World War II. It was used used in Poland, France, the Low Countries, Denmark, etc.

The Panzer II was a German light tank ordered into production as a stop-gap measure, as the Panzer III continued to have developmental problems. Originally built with only 15 mm of armor, it was later upgraded to 30 mm of armor. It was armed with both a machine gun and an automatic 20 mm canon, decidedly inferior to the standard 37 mm and 2 pounder tank guns used in most other countries in the early years of World War II. It was used used in Poland, France, the Low Countries, Denmark, etc.

The Panzer II is the common name used for a family of German tanks used in World War II. The official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen II (abbreviated PzKpfw II).  Although the vehicle had originally been designed as a stopgap while larger, more advanced tanks were developed, it nonetheless went on to play an important role in the early years of World War II, during the Polish and French campaigns. The Panzer II was the most numerous tank in the German Panzer divisions beginning with…

The Panzer II is the common name used for a family of German tanks used in World War II. The official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen II (abbreviated PzKpfw II). Although the vehicle had originally been designed as a stopgap while larger, more advanced tanks were developed, it nonetheless went on to play an important role in the early years of World War II, during the Polish and French campaigns. The Panzer II was the most numerous tank in the German Panzer divisions beginning with…

Pinterest
Rechercher