Castle of Mesen, Lede Belgium The Castle of Mesen, dates back to the year 1628. For centuries, it has been a strategic castle, used as a fortress (which was destroyed in 1581 and rebuilt by the end of that century). Subsequent owners have used the castle grounds as a distillery of gin, sugar and potash refinery, convent and boarding school. The chapel and school buildings date from the beginning of the 20th century. As of 2014, few buildings remain.